News
At least 28 killed after crane collapses on train in Thailand
At least 28 people have been confirmed dead and 64 others injured after a construction crane collapsed onto a moving passenger train in north-eastern Thailand, prompting swift rescue efforts and a high-level government investigation aimed at preventing future tragedies.
The accident occurred at around 09:00 local time (02:00 GMT) as the train was travelling from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani province. Officials said the falling crane struck the train with force, derailing it and crushing several carriages. One carriage caught fire following the impact, intensifying the emergency response.
According to official records, approximately 195 passengers were on board at the time of the crash. Emergency services responded rapidly, with rescuers later confirming that all passengers had been fully evacuated. Many of the injured were transported to hospitals across the region for treatment, with medical teams continuing to monitor those in critical condition.
Among the injured are a one-year-old child and an 85-year-old elderly passenger. Authorities said eight of the wounded remain in severe condition, while others are receiving ongoing care and are reported to be stable.
The crane involved in the incident was being used in the construction of an overhead railway, part of a China-backed infrastructure project designed to link Bangkok with neighbouring Laos. Laos is already connected to south-western China through a Chinese-built high-speed rail line, making the project a key element of regional transport integration.
One survivor, train staff member Thirasak Wongsoongnern, told local media that passengers were violently thrown into the air when the crane collapsed onto the train, describing moments of panic before rescue teams arrived.
Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul expressed deep concern over the incident and vowed accountability. He ordered an immediate investigation and stressed that those responsible would be held to account.
“Accidents like this can only happen due to negligence, skipped steps, deviations from the design, or the use of incorrect materials,” Anutin said, adding that safety failures would not be tolerated.
The tragedy has renewed attention on construction safety in Thailand, where deadly accidents have occurred in the past, often linked to weak enforcement of safety standards. Authorities say the latest investigation will not only determine responsibility but also strengthen oversight to ensure safer construction practices going forward.
News
Referee Michael Salisbury Dropped After Controversial Man Utd-Forest Decision
Referee Michael Salisbury has not been selected for any match in the final round of Premier League fixtures following controversy over a key decision during Manchester United F.C.’s victory over Nottingham Forest F.C. last weekend.
Salisbury allowed Matheus Cunha’s goal for United to stand despite the ball appearing to strike the hand of Bryan Mbeumo during the build-up.
After being advised to review the incident by the video assistant referee (VAR), Salisbury chose not to overturn the goal. The Professional Game Match Officials Limited later admitted the goal should have been disallowed.
Referees in English football generally apply a more lenient interpretation of handball laws compared with some other countries, although decisions must still remain within the official laws of the game.
Referees’ chief Howard Webb reportedly told Forest there were arguments supporting the decision not to award handball, but acknowledged that “football’s expectation” would have been for the goal to be ruled out.
The incident marked only the 17th occasion in seven Premier League seasons — and the fourth time this campaign — that a referee has rejected the recommendation of the VAR after reviewing footage at the pitchside monitor.
Salisbury, who has officiated 13 Premier League matches this season, has not been assigned to any of Sunday’s final-day fixtures, all of which kick off simultaneously.
Meanwhile, James Bell has still been appointed as VAR for Fulham F.C.’s match against Newcastle United F.C. despite criticism surrounding another recent VAR decision.
Bell faced scrutiny after not recommending a review of a challenge by Kai Havertz on Lesley Ugochukwu during Arsenal F.C.’s game against Burnley F.C. on Monday.
News
WHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further
The World Health Organization has warned that Ebola infections and deaths linked to the latest outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to rise further as health officials continue tracing the spread of the virus.
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that there are now 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 suspected deaths connected to the outbreak.
So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in DR Congo, where the outbreak began, while neighbouring Uganda has recorded two confirmed cases in its capital, Kampala. One of the infected travellers from DR Congo has died.
Speaking in Geneva, Ghebreyesus said the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola likely began spreading “a couple of months ago” before being detected.
Although the WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, the agency stressed that the situation does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic.
“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Ghebreyesus said after the organisation’s emergency committee reviewed the situation.
Health officials say the epicentre of the outbreak remains eastern DR Congo, particularly Ituri province, where confirmed cases have been reported in Mongwalu, Bunia, Rwampara and Nyakunde. Cases have also emerged in North Kivu province, including the cities of Goma and Butembo.
According to WHO officials, healthcare workers are among those who have died, increasing concerns over the outbreak’s severity and the risk of wider transmission.
Investigators are still trying to determine how long the virus circulated before being identified. The first known patient was reportedly a nurse in Bunia who developed symptoms and died on 24 April. Her body was later taken to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns heavily affected by the outbreak.
The current outbreak marks DR Congo’s 17th Ebola outbreak, but officials say the Bundibugyo species presents unique challenges because it has not been seen for more than a decade.
Bundibugyo has previously caused only two known outbreaks and historically killed around one-third of infected patients.
There are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments for the Bundibugyo strain, although experimental vaccines are under development. Health experts say vaccines designed for the more common Zaire strain of Ebola may offer limited protection, but this has not yet been confirmed.
News
Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs
The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.
The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.
The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.
Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.
The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.
Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.
Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.
Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.
According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.
-
News1 week agoPhilippine Vice-President Sara Duterte Impeached Again
-
News1 week agoUS and French Passengers Test Positive After Deadly Hantavirus Cruise Ship Outbreak
-
Sports1 week agoLiverpool Reveal Design for Permanent Diogo Jota and Andre Silva Memorial
-
News1 week agoPhilippine Senate Locked Down After Gunshots Fired
-
News4 days agoRescue Diver Dies During Search for Italian Divers Missing in Maldives Cave Tragedy
-
Entertainment6 days agoMadonna, Shakira and BTS to Headline Historic World Cup Final Half-Time Show
-
Sports4 days agoCeltic F.C. Stun Heart of Midlothian F.C. to Seal Dramatic Title Win
-
Politics6 days agoLabour MP Josh Simons to Resign
