News
Arthur Frommer, Travel Pioneer and Guidebook Author, Passes Away at 95
Arthur Frommer, the renowned author who revolutionized budget travel with his iconic guidebook Europe on 5 Dollars a Day, has died at the age of 95. His daughter, Pauline Frommer, confirmed his passing in a heartfelt statement on his website, noting that he was surrounded by family at home.
“Arthur Frommer democratized travel, showing average Americans how anyone can afford to travel widely and better understand the world,” Pauline wrote. “I am honored to continue his work with our incredible team of travel journalists. We will all miss him greatly.”
Frommer’s groundbreaking work began with Europe on 5 Dollars a Day, published in 1957. The book became a bestseller, empowering millions of travelers with practical tips on how to explore Europe on a modest budget. The guide’s charm and utility redefined travel, making adventures once deemed exclusive to the wealthy accessible to everyday Americans.
In the introduction to the original guidebook, Frommer wrote humorously, “This is a book for American tourists who a) own no oil wells in Texas, b) are unrelated to the Aga Khan, c) have never struck it rich in Las Vegas and who still want to enjoy a wonderful European vacation.”
His journey into travel writing began during his military service in the Korean War. Stationed in Germany due to his language skills, Frommer authored The GI’s Guide to Travelling in Europe for fellow service members, laying the foundation for his later success.
Frommer went on to build a travel empire with his Frommer’s guidebook series, covering destinations worldwide and offering invaluable advice for travelers on a budget. His work inspired generations to explore the world and experience its diversity firsthand.
Arthur Frommer’s legacy as a visionary who democratized travel will endure, carried forward by his family and a global community of travel enthusiasts.
News
Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs
The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.
The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.
The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.
Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.
The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.
Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.
Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.
Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.
According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.
News
Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives
The bodies of four Italian divers who disappeared during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, local authorities confirmed.
One member of the group had already been found shortly after the incident, which took place last Thursday.
Officials said the four remaining victims were discovered inside a cave around 60 metres (197 feet) underwater in Vaavu Atoll during a joint recovery operation involving specially trained Finnish and Maldivian divers.
The tragedy also claimed the life of a Maldivian rescue diver who died on Saturday while taking part in the search effort.
Authorities believe the accident is the deadliest single diving incident recorded in the Maldives, a country internationally known for its tourism industry and coral island resorts.
Four of the Italian victims were linked to the University of Genoa research team. They were identified as Prof Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri.
The fifth Italian victim was diving instructor and boat operations manager Gianluca Benedetti.
The Maldivian rescue diver who died during the operation was identified as Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee.
Officials believe all four bodies recovered this week were located in the same underwater cave where military personnel had earlier discovered the first victim on the day of the accident.
News
Six Americans Exposed in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
At least six Americans were exposed to the Ebola virus during the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The outbreak has already prompted the World Health Organization to declare an international health emergency, with authorities in DR Congo reporting about 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths.
One American is believed to be showing symptoms linked to the virus, while three others reportedly experienced high-risk exposure. It remains unclear whether any of the individuals have tested positive for Ebola.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed it was assisting with the “safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected,” though officials declined to specify the number involved.
Health officials say the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments.
There have also been two confirmed Ebola cases and one death reported in Uganda, according to the CDC.
Reports indicate the US government is working to move the affected Americans from DR Congo to a secure quarantine location. Health news outlet STAT reported that the group could potentially be transported to a US military base in Germany, although this has not been officially confirmed.
During a press briefing, CDC officials declined to answer direct questions regarding the Americans reportedly exposed, but maintained that the overall risk to the United States remains low.
The US has meanwhile issued a Level Four travel advisory — its highest warning level — advising citizens not to travel to the DR Congo.
The WHO warned that the outbreak in Ituri province could become significantly larger than currently detected, with concerns over local and regional spread. However, the agency stated the situation does not yet meet the criteria for a pandemic.
Ebola remains one of the world’s deadliest infectious diseases. During the 2014–2016 outbreak in West Africa, more than 28,600 people were infected and 11,325 died across countries including Guinea, Sierra Leone, the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy.
Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, urged communities to follow strict public health measures, especially guidelines surrounding the handling and burial of Ebola victims, as efforts continue to contain the outbreak.
-
News1 week agoFrontier Airlines Plane Strikes and Kills Runway Trespasser During Take-Off at Denver Airport
-
News1 week agoPhilippine Vice-President Sara Duterte Impeached Again
-
News1 week agoUS and French Passengers Test Positive After Deadly Hantavirus Cruise Ship Outbreak
-
Sports1 week agoLiverpool Reveal Design for Permanent Diogo Jota and Andre Silva Memorial
-
News6 days agoPhilippine Senate Locked Down After Gunshots Fired
-
Entertainment5 days agoMadonna, Shakira and BTS to Headline Historic World Cup Final Half-Time Show
-
News3 days agoRescue Diver Dies During Search for Italian Divers Missing in Maldives Cave Tragedy
-
Politics5 days agoLabour MP Josh Simons to Resign
