General
Cholera Vaccines to Bolster Nigeria’s Fight Against Outbreak – Gavi
The Chief Executive Officer of Vaccine Alliance, Gavi, Dr. Sania Nishtar, has announced that cholera vaccines will soon arrive in Nigeria to help combat the ongoing outbreak. This positive development aims to curb the spread of the deadly disease.
Dr. Nishtar shared the news on her X handle on Thursday, emphasizing Gavi’s commitment to supporting Nigeria’s response to the cholera outbreak. She highlighted that Gavi is ready to provide emergency vaccine doses as needed to help contain the situation.
Cholera, a highly contagious disease caused by the ingestion of the Vibrio cholerae bacterium through contaminated water and food, has seen a rise in cases due to the rainy season, which often leads to flooding and compromised water sources. The need for vaccines has become critical as the outbreak continues to affect numerous regions.
As of July 15, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention reported 3,623 suspected cholera cases and 103 deaths across 34 states and the Federal Capital Territory. The outbreak has spread to 187 Local Government Areas, with a cumulative case fatality rate of 2.8% since the beginning of the year.
Dr. Nishtar’s post on Thursday read, “Encouraged to learn that #Cholera vaccines from the #Gavi-funded global vaccine stockpile will soon arrive in Nigeria to help curb the country’s deadly and ongoing outbreak. We stand ready to work with our partners #UNICEF and #WHO to support Minister #muhammadpate, #Fmohnigeria, and #NCDCgov’s timely efforts to contain this outbreak and protect those at the highest risk.”
The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof Muhammad Pate, expressed gratitude towards Gavi’s CEO for facilitating the arrival of the vaccines. He also thanked President Tinubu for his leadership in establishing a multi-sector cabinet committee to support the Emergency Operations Centre led by the NCDC. Prof Pate mentioned, “We are seeing early signs of slowing down but we’ll not relent as the situation can reverse. So, the cholera vaccines strengthen our hands.”
This collaborative effort marks a significant step towards controlling the cholera outbreak and protecting the health and well-being of those most at risk in Nigeria.
General
Stephen Fry Seeks Damages After Serious Fall at London Tech Conference
Stephen Fry has launched legal action against the organisers of a technology conference after suffering serious injuries when he fell off a stage following a keynote speech in London.
The broadcaster, actor and author is seeking up to £100,000 in damages after the accident at the CogX Festival, which took place at The O2 Arena in September 2023.
Sir Stephen, 68, said he sustained multiple injuries in the fall, including fractures to his leg, hip, pelvis and several ribs. He had been speaking at the event after being invited to deliver a keynote address focused on artificial intelligence.
Describing the incident at the time, he said: “So I broke my right leg in a couple of places and my hip and pelvis in four places and a bunch of ribs.”
He added that he felt fortunate the injuries were not even more severe, saying he had “praised my lucky stars” that he did not damage his spine or suffer a skull injury.
According to court documents filed on his behalf, Fry is bringing a personal injury claim against CogX Festival Ltd and Blonstein Events Ltd.
The filing states that after finishing his presentation and while leaving the stage through the backstage area, he fell approximately two metres from the stage onto the concrete floor below.
“The Claimant brings a claim for damages for personal injuries sustained on 14 September 2023 at the O2 Arena, London, whilst attending the CogX Festival where he had been engaged to deliver a talk on Artificial Intelligence,” the court documents state.
The legal action is focused on the circumstances surrounding the fall and whether sufficient safety measures were in place backstage at the venue.
Neither CogX Festival Ltd nor Blonstein Events Ltd has publicly responded to the claim so far.
General
Israeli Soldiers Punished Over Vandalism of Jesus Statue in Lebanon
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has disciplined soldiers involved in the vandalism of a statue of Jesus in southern Lebanon, following widespread condemnation of the incident.
According to the IDF, the soldier who struck the statue with a sledgehammer, along with another who photographed the act, will each serve 30 days of military detention and be removed from combat duties. The military added that six additional soldiers present at the scene, who failed to intervene or report the incident, will face separate disciplinary action.
The incident occurred in the village of Debel, where an image of the damaged statue circulated widely online, sparking outrage both locally and internationally.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was “stunned and saddened” by the act, as criticism mounted over the conduct of the troops.
In a statement, the IDF said its internal inquiry found the soldiers’ actions “completely deviated from IDF orders and values” and expressed “deep regret” over what happened. It added that the damaged statue had since been replaced in coordination with the local community.
The military emphasised that its operations in Lebanon are directed solely against militant groups, including Hezbollah, and not against civilians or religious sites.
Local leaders strongly condemned the act. Father Fadi Flaifel, head of the village’s congregation, described it as a desecration of a sacred symbol, saying it violated principles of respect and human rights.
General
Father Kills Eight Children in Louisiana Mass Shooting, Police Say
A man has shot dead seven of his own children and another child in a mass shooting in Shreveport, in what authorities have described as a domestic incident.
Police in the U.S. state of Louisiana said the suspect, identified as Shamar Elkins, opened fire early Sunday morning, killing eight children aged between one and 14 years old.
According to the Shreveport Police Department, the gunman shot a total of 10 people before fleeing the scene in a stolen vehicle. Two adult women, including the children’s mother, remain in critical condition.
Authorities said the suspect first shot a woman on the street before entering a nearby residence, where the children were killed. One of the victims managed to escape and alert emergency services, while another child reportedly jumped from a roof and was taken to hospital.
Police later pursued Elkins into a neighbouring area, where officers shot and killed him after he attempted to evade capture.
Officials have not confirmed a motive, but family members told U.S. media the suspect had been distressed following a separation from his wife and an impending court appearance related to their divorce.
Shreveport Mayor Tom Arceneaux described the incident as one of the most devastating in the city’s history. “This is a tragic situation – maybe the worst tragic situation we’ve ever had in Shreveport,” he said, adding that the entire community is mourning alongside the affected families.
The attack is the deadliest mass shooting in the United States since early 2024, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more victims are shot, excluding the perpetrator.
-
Entertainment1 week agoMadonna, Shakira and BTS to Headline Historic World Cup Final Half-Time Show
-
News1 week agoRescue Diver Dies During Search for Italian Divers Missing in Maldives Cave Tragedy
-
Sports1 week agoCeltic F.C. Stun Heart of Midlothian F.C. to Seal Dramatic Title Win
-
News5 days agoTrain Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs
-
News5 days agoBodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives
-
Politics1 week agoLabour MP Josh Simons to Resign
-
News5 days agoSix Americans Exposed in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
-
News3 days agoWHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further
