News
Canada and France open Greenland consulates after Trump demands
Canada and France have opened new diplomatic missions in Greenland, marking a historic expansion of foreign engagement in the Arctic territory and a clear demonstration of allied unity following recent remarks by US President Donald Trump about taking control of the island.
Canada formally inaugurated its first-ever consulate in Greenland on Friday, with a high-level delegation travelling to Nuuk for the occasion. The group included Canada’s Governor General Mary Simon and Foreign Minister Anita Anand, and their arrival was accompanied by a Canadian Coast Guard vessel, underlining Ottawa’s long-term interest in Arctic cooperation and security.
At a flag-raising ceremony in Nuuk, Anand said the new consulate represents Canada’s enduring commitment to partnership in the Arctic. She described it as a symbol of Canada’s determination to “stand together with the people of Greenland and Denmark,” emphasising shared values, mutual respect and long-standing regional connections.
The Canadian opening coincided with a similar move by France, whose officials also opened a consulate in Greenland on the same day. Together, the two missions represent the most significant expansion of foreign diplomatic presence in Nuuk in decades. Until now, only Iceland and the United States had maintained formal consular services in the Greenlandic capital.
The coordinated openings send a strong signal of continued support from Nato allies at a time when Greenland has drawn renewed international attention. President Trump has repeatedly said the US needs to “own” Greenland for national security reasons, comments that sparked concern across Europe and North America. He has since moderated his position, saying he is exploring a potential deal following discussions with Denmark, European partners and Canada.
For Canada, the consulate reflects both strategic planning and deep-rooted regional ties. The move was first announced in early 2024 as part of a broader review of Ottawa’s Arctic foreign policy. While the opening had originally been planned for late 2025, logistical challenges caused by severe weather delayed the launch. Recent geopolitical developments have since given the mission added significance.
Michael Byers, a professor at the University of British Columbia and a leading expert on Arctic affairs, said the decision was both timely and logical. He noted that Nuuk is just an hour’s flight from Iqaluit, the capital of Canada’s northern territory of Nunavut, and that the two regions share extensive social, cultural and economic links.
“I’m only surprised it hasn’t occurred sooner, given the important connections between Greenland and Arctic Canada,” Byers said. He added that Governor General Simon’s presence carried particular weight, given her Inuit heritage. “Her visit is an affirmation at the highest level of the cultural and ethnic connections between Arctic Canada and Greenland. It’s a very powerful statement.”
Simon, who grew up in Nunavik in northern Quebec, is the first Canadian governor general to visit Greenland since 1982. She has spoken warmly of her lifelong connection to the territory, recalling how, as a child, she would hear Greenlandic Inuit songs broadcast over shortwave radio through her grandmother.
“She would say: ‘These are our relatives who live in faraway lands. We are all one people,’” Simon told delegates at the Arctic Frontiers conference in Norway earlier this week, shortly before travelling to Nuuk.
The opening has also been welcomed by Inuit leaders in Canada. Natan Obed, president of Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami, which represents Inuit across the country, said the consulate was the culmination of years of advocacy aimed at strengthening ties between Inuit communities separated by national borders.
Obed said around 50 Canadian Inuit were expected to arrive in Nuuk on a chartered flight from Montreal to attend Friday’s ceremony, highlighting the strong people-to-people dimension of the diplomatic milestone.
He added that US statements about Greenland resonate deeply among Inuit communities, given their shared history of colonisation and broader concerns about sovereignty in the Arctic. Trump’s past remarks about Canada have also heightened sensitivities.
“We do worry that the United States may return to more serious overtures around annexing Canada and Canada being the 51st state,” Obed said. “And we do worry that Inuit Nunangat, our homeland, is one of the pivotal reasons for the US to consider that sentiment.”
News
Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs
The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.
The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.
The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.
Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.
The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.
Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.
Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.
Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.
According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.
News
Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives
The bodies of four Italian divers who disappeared during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, local authorities confirmed.
One member of the group had already been found shortly after the incident, which took place last Thursday.
Officials said the four remaining victims were discovered inside a cave around 60 metres (197 feet) underwater in Vaavu Atoll during a joint recovery operation involving specially trained Finnish and Maldivian divers.
The tragedy also claimed the life of a Maldivian rescue diver who died on Saturday while taking part in the search effort.
Authorities believe the accident is the deadliest single diving incident recorded in the Maldives, a country internationally known for its tourism industry and coral island resorts.
Four of the Italian victims were linked to the University of Genoa research team. They were identified as Prof Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri.
The fifth Italian victim was diving instructor and boat operations manager Gianluca Benedetti.
The Maldivian rescue diver who died during the operation was identified as Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee.
Officials believe all four bodies recovered this week were located in the same underwater cave where military personnel had earlier discovered the first victim on the day of the accident.
News
Six Americans Exposed in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
At least six Americans were exposed to the Ebola virus during the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
The outbreak has already prompted the World Health Organization to declare an international health emergency, with authorities in DR Congo reporting about 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths.
One American is believed to be showing symptoms linked to the virus, while three others reportedly experienced high-risk exposure. It remains unclear whether any of the individuals have tested positive for Ebola.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed it was assisting with the “safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected,” though officials declined to specify the number involved.
Health officials say the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments.
There have also been two confirmed Ebola cases and one death reported in Uganda, according to the CDC.
Reports indicate the US government is working to move the affected Americans from DR Congo to a secure quarantine location. Health news outlet STAT reported that the group could potentially be transported to a US military base in Germany, although this has not been officially confirmed.
During a press briefing, CDC officials declined to answer direct questions regarding the Americans reportedly exposed, but maintained that the overall risk to the United States remains low.
The US has meanwhile issued a Level Four travel advisory — its highest warning level — advising citizens not to travel to the DR Congo.
The WHO warned that the outbreak in Ituri province could become significantly larger than currently detected, with concerns over local and regional spread. However, the agency stated the situation does not yet meet the criteria for a pandemic.
Ebola remains one of the world’s deadliest infectious diseases. During the 2014–2016 outbreak in West Africa, more than 28,600 people were infected and 11,325 died across countries including Guinea, Sierra Leone, the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy.
Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, urged communities to follow strict public health measures, especially guidelines surrounding the handling and burial of Ebola victims, as efforts continue to contain the outbreak.
-
News1 week agoFrontier Airlines Plane Strikes and Kills Runway Trespasser During Take-Off at Denver Airport
-
News1 week agoPhilippine Vice-President Sara Duterte Impeached Again
-
News1 week agoUS and French Passengers Test Positive After Deadly Hantavirus Cruise Ship Outbreak
-
Sports1 week agoLiverpool Reveal Design for Permanent Diogo Jota and Andre Silva Memorial
-
News6 days agoPhilippine Senate Locked Down After Gunshots Fired
-
Entertainment5 days agoMadonna, Shakira and BTS to Headline Historic World Cup Final Half-Time Show
-
News3 days agoRescue Diver Dies During Search for Italian Divers Missing in Maldives Cave Tragedy
-
Politics5 days agoLabour MP Josh Simons to Resign
