News
Ten people found guilty of cyber-bullying Brigitte Macron,
A Paris court has found ten people guilty of cyber-bullying Brigitte Macron, the wife of French President Emmanuel Macron, in a ruling that is being widely viewed as a significant affirmation of legal protections against online abuse.
The defendants were convicted of spreading false claims about Brigitte Macron’s gender and sexuality, alongside what the court described as “malicious remarks” targeting the 24-year age difference between her and the president. The judge said the eight men and two women involved had acted with a clear intention to cause harm, publishing remarks online that were degrading, insulting and deliberately hurtful.
Most of those found guilty received suspended prison sentences of up to eight months, reflecting the court’s emphasis on deterrence and accountability rather than incarceration. One defendant was immediately jailed after failing to appear in court, while several others were ordered to have their social media accounts suspended. The court also mandated prevention and awareness courses, underlining a broader effort to curb similar behaviour in the future.
Speaking after the verdict, Brigitte Macron’s lawyer, Jean Ennochi, welcomed the outcome, stressing that the preventative measures were especially important. “The most important things are the prevention courses and the suspension of some of the accounts.
The case also revisited the activities of two prominent figures previously linked to the conspiracy theories. Self-styled independent journalist Natacha Rey and internet fortune-teller Amandine Roy had been found guilty of slander in 2024 for claiming that France’s first lady had never existed, alleging instead that her brother, Jean-Michel Trogneux, had changed gender and taken her identity. Although they were later cleared on appeal — with judges ruling that claiming someone had changed gender did not necessarily constitute an attack on their honour — the Macrons have since decided to take that case to France’s highest court of appeal.
The personal toll of the cyber-bullying was detailed during the trial by Tiphaine Auzière, Brigitte Macron’s daughter from a previous marriage. She told the court that the sustained online attacks had negatively affected her mother’s health and daily life. Auzière explained that Brigitte Macron had become extremely cautious about her clothing, posture and public appearance, knowing that images of her were often repurposed online to support conspiracy narratives.
While her mother had, over time, “learned to live with it”, Auzière said the impact on the family extended to her own children, who were subjected to taunts at school because of the rumours. Her testimony added emotional weight to the proceedings and reinforced the court’s view of the real-world consequences of online harassment.
Monday’s ruling is also being seen as a precursor to a much larger legal battle abroad. The Macrons have filed a defamation lawsuit in the United States against right-wing influencer Candace Owens, accusing her of amplifying and sustaining the same conspiracy theories about the first lady’s gender. In their filing, the presidential couple allege that Owens “disregarded all credible evidence disproving her claim in favour of platforming known conspiracy theorists and proven defamers”.
Owens has repeatedly voiced the claims on her podcast and social media platforms and, in March 2024, said she would stake her “entire professional reputation” on her assertion that Brigitte Macron “is in fact a man”. The upcoming US case is expected to test the limits of free speech and defamation law in a highly charged political and cultural environment.
Initially, advisers had urged the Macrons to ignore the rumours, warning that legal action could unintentionally amplify them. However, last year marked a decisive change in strategy. The presidential couple concluded that the scale, persistence and coordination of the online attacks had grown too large to overlook. Despite the personal risks of exposing private details in a US courtroom, they chose to confront the conspiracy theories directly.
False claims that Brigitte Macron is a transgender woman have circulated online since Emmanuel Macron was first elected president in 2017. The couple’s relationship has long attracted public attention, particularly because they first met when she was a teacher at his secondary school. They married in 2007, when Emmanuel Macron was 29 and Brigitte Macron was in her mid-50s.
News
Investigation Continues as Andrew Released After Historic Royal Arrest
Search efforts and inquiries remain ongoing after Prince Andrew was released under investigation following a day spent in police custody.
More than 19 hours after he was photographed reclining in the back seat of a vehicle upon release, the King’s younger brother remains at the centre of an active inquiry. The 66-year-old spent approximately 11 hours in custody on his birthday after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
The development marked the first arrest of a senior royal in modern history.
Following his release, Andrew departed Aylsham Police Station after a lengthy period that involved hours of transport and waiting.
Although no charges have been filed, Andrew has been released under investigation — meaning he is free to resume daily activities for now, but remains subject to further questioning as inquiries progress.
Authorities continue to examine matters linked to properties associated with the Duke, including locations connected to the Sandringham Estate.
According to royal correspondent Helena Wilkinson, Andrew’s legal situation remains unresolved, and he may be required to return for additional interviews as the investigation develops.
News
Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Authorities have confirmed that Prince Andrew was arrested earlier today on suspicion of misconduct in public office, marking a significant development that is now set to move through the formal legal system.
The arrest took place at a residence on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk at approximately 08:00 this morning. Police have since continued investigative searches at that property, as well as at his former home located within Windsor Great Park.
In recent weeks, Andrew had relocated from Windsor to establish a temporary base at Sandringham while renovation work progresses on his future long-term residence at nearby Marsh Farm.
The Sandringham Estate, originally acquired in 1862 as a private retreat for the future Edward VII when he was Albert, Prince of Wales, has long remained a cherished country residence passed from monarch to monarch. It continues to serve as a traditional gathering place for the Royal Family, particularly during the Christmas period.
It is understood Andrew has been staying at Wood Farm, a secluded house near the village of Wolferton. The residence holds personal significance, having been chosen by his father, Prince Philip, as his primary home following retirement from public duties in 2017.
Today, Sandringham has seen heightened police presence as the investigation proceeds.
Meanwhile, King Charles III continued with his scheduled public engagements in London, where he was greeted by both questions and expressions of public support upon arrival.
Maintaining continuity and stability, the King chose—like the Queen earlier—to proceed with previously planned duties. In a statement, he reaffirmed confidence in due process, noting that “the law must take its course.”
It has also been confirmed that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace were informed in advance of the arrest, underscoring the independence of the legal process now underway.
News
Police Review Private Flights at Stansted Following Epstein File Revelations
Authorities are assessing new information concerning private jet movements at Stansted Airport after fresh scrutiny linked to the activities of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Essex Police confirmed it is examining details related to private flights arriving at and departing from the airport in light of disclosures emerging from the recently published Epstein files.
The review follows calls from former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who urged in the New Statesman that law enforcement should “urgently” revisit whether Epstein’s victims may have been trafficked into or out of the United Kingdom.
A previous investigation identified 87 flights connected to Epstein that either landed at or departed from UK airports between the early 1990s and 2018.
Stansted Airport has maintained that private aircraft operations are conducted independently, noting that it does not oversee passenger arrangements for privately chartered flights.
The police assessment is part of broader efforts to understand any potential connections between flight activity and trafficking concerns raised in the wake of the latest disclosures.
-
News1 week agoNine killed and 25 injured in shootings at school and home in Canada
-
News1 week agoKim Jong Un chooses teen daughter as heir, says Seoul
-
News3 days agoPolice Review Private Flights at Stansted Following Epstein File Revelations
-
News1 week agoMinnesota Immigration Enforcement Surge to Wind Down as Federal Officials Cite “Great Success”
-
Entertainment1 week agoTaylor Swift asks US government to block ‘Swift Home’ trademark
-
Entertainment3 days agoTech-Inspired Musician Look Mum No Computer to Represent UK at Eurovision
-
News1 week agoRubio warns Europe of new era in geopolitics before big Munich speech
-
News5 days agoEleven Killed in Gaza Strikes as Ceasefire Tensions Persist
