Sports
Mykhailo Mudryk ‘In Shock’ After Failed Drugs Test as Investigation Begins
Chelsea winger Mykhailo Mudryk has expressed his disbelief after testing positive for a banned substance during a routine drugs test. The Ukraine international has been provisionally suspended by the Football Association (FA) while investigations are underway, though the player strongly denies any wrongdoing.
Mudryk, who joined Chelsea in January 2023 from Shakhtar Donetsk in a deal worth up to £89 million, shared his reaction on social media, stating:
“This has come as a complete shock as I have never knowingly used any banned substances or broken any rules, and am working closely with my team to investigate how this could have happened. I know that I have not done anything wrong and remain hopeful that I will be back on the pitch soon.”
Chelsea confirmed they had been contacted by the FA regarding “an adverse finding” in Mudryk’s urine test and are working to determine the cause behind the positive result.
The 23-year-old last appeared for Chelsea on 28 November and has missed the Blues’ last five matches in all competitions. Head coach Enzo Maresca previously attributed Mudryk’s absence to illness, particularly when the winger was included but did not feature in the squad for Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Aston Villa on 1 December.
Under FA and FIFA guidelines, players who intentionally take banned substances can face suspensions of up to four years. However, the circumstances surrounding Mudryk’s case are yet to be fully clarified.
The Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) is expected to offer support to Mudryk as the investigation progresses. The FA, meanwhile, has refused to comment on further details, including the timing of the test or specific substance involved.
Mudryk’s performance since his high-profile transfer has seen him contribute 10 goals across 73 appearances.
Sports
Liverpool Reveal Design for Permanent Diogo Jota and Andre Silva Memorial
Liverpool FC have unveiled images of a permanent memorial dedicated to late forward Diogo Jota and his brother Andre Silva following their deaths in a car crash last summer.
Jota, 28, and Silva, 25, who played for Portuguese second-division side FC Penafiel, died on 3 July in Spain’s Zamora province.
The memorial, titled Forever 20, will be installed at Anfield along 97 Avenue and is designed to honour the brothers’ lives, their close bond and the affection shown toward them by fans, teammates and family members around the world.
Liverpool said the sculpture incorporates a flowing heart design inspired by Jota’s trademark goal celebration. It also features the brothers’ shirt numbers — 20 and 30 — as well as lyrics from the chant sung by Liverpool supporters during the 20th minute of matches in tribute to Jota.
The club revealed that physical tributes, flowers and messages left outside Anfield by supporters after the brothers’ deaths have been recycled and incorporated into the stone plinth of the memorial.
Liverpool have not yet confirmed an official unveiling date but said details would be announced in the future.
Jota joined Liverpool from Wolverhampton Wanderers in 2020 and became a key player during his time at Anfield.
The Portugal international scored 65 goals in 182 appearances for the club, helping Liverpool win the Premier League, the FA Cup and two EFL Cup titles during his spell on Merseyside.
Sports
Shakira Unveils Official Song for 2026 World Cup Featuring Burna Boy
Colombian pop superstar Shakira has revealed the official anthem for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, marking her latest return to football’s biggest global stage.
The 49-year-old singer announced on Thursday that her new song, Dai Dai, will serve as the official track for the tournament taking place across the United States, Mexico and Canada.
Shakira teased the song in a one-minute Instagram video filmed at the iconic Maracana Stadium in Brazil. The track, scheduled for release on 14 May, also features Nigerian Grammy-winning artist Burna Boy.
The announcement marks another major World Cup collaboration for Shakira, who previously delivered one of football’s most memorable tournament songs with Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) during the 2010 tournament in South Africa.
She also released La La La (Brazil 2014) as a theme song for the 2014 World Cup and performed it at the tournament’s closing ceremony in Rio de Janeiro.
Shakira additionally performed her global hit Hips Don’t Lie during the closing ceremony of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
The singer, who shares two sons with former FC Barcelona and Spain defender Gerard Pique, has maintained a long association with football tournaments throughout her career.
The expanded 48-team 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from 11 June to 19 July, with Colombia among the nations set to participate.
Sports
Valverde Hospitalised Following Alleged Clash With Tchouameni
Real Madrid have launched disciplinary proceedings after an alleged altercation between midfielders Federico Valverde and Aurelien Tchouameni reportedly left Valverde hospitalised with a head injury.
The incident is said to have occurred at the club’s Valdebebas training complex just days before Real Madrid’s crucial El Clasico clash against rivals FC Barcelona on Sunday.
In a statement released on Thursday, Real Madrid confirmed that internal disciplinary proceedings had been opened “following the incidents that occurred this morning during the first team’s training session.”
Reports suggest tensions between the two players first emerged during training on Wednesday before continuing in the dressing room, although the disagreement reportedly did not become physical at that stage.
Spanish media reports claim Thursday’s altercation took place after training when France midfielder Tchouameni allegedly confronted Valverde, with a verbal dispute escalating into a physical clash.
An emergency meeting involving Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, head coach Alvaro Arbeloa and club captain Dani Carvajal was reportedly held on Thursday evening to address the situation.
The club said further updates would be provided once internal procedures had been completed.
The alleged incident comes at a sensitive moment in Real Madrid’s season. The team travel to face Barcelona at the Nou Camp on Sunday knowing that anything less than a victory could hand their rivals a second consecutive La Liga title with three matches still remaining.
Spanish reports described the alleged altercation as “the most serious ever experienced in Valdebebas” according to several club staff members.
The latest controversy also follows reports earlier in the week of tensions elsewhere within the Real Madrid dressing room.
Defender Alvaro Carreras addressed speculation surrounding an alleged disagreement with teammate Antonio Rudiger in a statement posted on Instagram.
Carreras dismissed suggestions of serious conflict and insisted his relationship with the squad remained strong.
“Regarding the incident with a colleague, it is a specific matter of no relevance that has already been settled,” he wrote. “My relationship with the whole team is very good.”
-
News3 days agoFrontier Airlines Plane Strikes and Kills Runway Trespasser During Take-Off at Denver Airport
-
News1 week agoSecond hantavirus case confirmed after deaths on Atlantic Cruise Ship
-
Entertainment1 week agoDolly Parton Cancels Las Vegas Residency as She Focuses on Recovery
-
Sports5 days agoValverde Hospitalised Following Alleged Clash With Tchouameni
-
News5 days agoWHO Says Global Risk Remains Low Despite Hantavirus Cruise Ship Outbreak
-
News6 days agoTrump Pauses ‘Project Freedom’ Mission in Strait of Hormuz Days After Launch
-
Sports5 days agoShakira Unveils Official Song for 2026 World Cup Featuring Burna Boy
-
News1 week agoDeadly Blast at Fireworks Factory in China’s Hunan Province Kills 26
