Connect with us

News

George Santos Faces Prison After Pleading Guilty to Fraud Charges

Published

on

George Santos Faces Prison After Pleading Guilty to Fraud Charges

Former Republican congressman George Santos is now facing several years in prison after pleading guilty to two federal counts of fraud. Santos, 36, appeared in court in Central Islip, New York, where he admitted to wire fraud and aggravated identity theft, including stealing the identities of campaign staff and misusing campaign funds.

The judge overseeing the case estimated that Santos could face a sentencing range of six to eight years in prison. Santos expressed deep regret for his actions in a statement read to the court, taking full responsibility for the harm caused. This guilty plea marks a significant downfall for Santos, who was expelled from Congress last year after a scandal-ridden tenure.

As part of a plea agreement, Santos is required to pay restitution of at least $374,000. The aggravated identity theft charge alone carries a mandatory two-year prison sentence, which will be added to any other sentences he receives.

Advertisement

During the court proceedings, Santos admitted to several fraudulent activities, including applying for unemployment benefits he was not entitled to and making false statements on financial documents submitted to both the House Ethics Committee and the Federal Election Commission (FEC). His charges included 23 federal felonies, ranging from wire fraud and money laundering to the misuse of campaign funds.

Santos’ sentencing is scheduled for February 7.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tributes Pour In as Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Published

on

Tributes Pour In as Civil Rights Icon Jesse Jackson Dies at 84

Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson has died at the age of 84, his family has announced, marking the passing of one of the most influential figures in the global struggle for justice and equality.

In a statement, the Jackson family said he “died peacefully on Tuesday morning, surrounded by his family”.

They described his life as one defined by service and purpose, noting that his “unwavering commitment to justice, equality, and human rights helped shape a global movement for freedom and dignity.”

Advertisement

The statement paid tribute to his decades-long activism, from his presidential campaigns in the 1980s to his efforts mobilising millions of voters and amplifying the voices of marginalised communities.

Jackson was the founder of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, an organisation that became a central platform for advancing social and economic justice.

His family said he is survived by his wife Jacqueline and their children Santita, Jesse Jr., Jonathan, Yusef and Jacqueline, along with daughter Ashley Jackson and grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his mother Helen Burns Jackson, father Noah Louis Robinson and stepfather Charles Henry Jackson.

Advertisement

“Our father was a servant leader – not only to our family, but to the oppressed, the voiceless, and the overlooked around the world,” the family said, encouraging people to honour his legacy by continuing the fight for the values he championed.

Public observances are expected to be held in Chicago, with further details of memorial services to be announced by the Rainbow PUSH Coalition.

While the cause of death has not yet been confirmed, Jackson had faced ongoing health challenges in recent years. He was hospitalised in November and had been diagnosed with progressive supranuclear palsy, a rare degenerative condition.

Advertisement

In 2017, he revealed he had been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, which he described as a “physical challenge” even as he remained active in civil rights advocacy.

Continue Reading

News

Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says

Published

on

Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says

The United Kingdom and several European partners have pointed to new forensic findings as they renew efforts to seek clarity over the death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny two years after he died in a Siberian penal colony.

Addressing delegates at the Munich Security Conference, UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said scientific analysis had detected epibatidine — a potent toxin associated with dart frogs — in samples taken from Navalny’s body.

She noted that the nature of the substance suggested it could only have been deployed by actors with significant capability, adding that the circumstances of Navalny’s imprisonment made the finding particularly concerning.

Advertisement

Moscow has dismissed the conclusions, with state outlet TASS describing the allegations as part of an “information campaign”.

However, a joint declaration from the UK, Sweden, France, Germany and the Netherlands emphasised that the toxin is not naturally present in Russia and is typically linked to certain wild amphibians found in South America.

On the sidelines of the conference, Cooper met Navalny’s widow, Yulia Navalnaya, as international partners reaffirmed their support for continued investigation.

Advertisement

The UK has also notified the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons regarding what it described as a potential violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer praised Navalny’s determination and courage, saying his work continues to inspire efforts in defence of democratic values.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot also paid tribute, noting Navalny’s role in advocating for a more open political future.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Ukraine’s ex-energy minister detained while attempting to leave country

Published

on

Ukraine's ex-energy minister detained while attempting to leave country

Ukrainian authorities have taken decisive action in their ongoing anti-corruption efforts after a former energy minister was detained while attempting to leave the country.

Investigators from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine confirmed on Sunday that the former minister was intercepted while crossing the state border as part of the sweeping “Midas” investigation into alleged financial misconduct in the energy sector.

Although officials did not formally name him, prominent Ukrainian media identified the detainee as German Galushchenko, who left government last November following allegations tied to a reported $100m (£75m) embezzlement scheme.

Advertisement

The case represents a significant step in Ukraine’s commitment to transparency under President Volodymyr Zelensky, whose administration rose to power pledging to confront corruption even amid the pressures of Russia’s full-scale invasion.

The investigation has also touched senior figures, including former chief-of-staff Andriy Yermak, who resigned after his residence was searched. Importantly, neither Zelensky nor Yermak has been accused of wrongdoing.

Authorities say the Midas operation follows 15 months of detailed work by anti-corruption bodies, including cooperation with the Specialised Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office. The probe focuses on suspected irregularities involving Ukraine’s state nuclear operator Energoatom.

Advertisement

Investigators allege that individuals linked to the scheme may have received kickbacks ranging from 10% to 15% of contract values from contractors. According to officials, funds were then laundered and transferred abroad.

Reports from Radio Free Europe indicate that the former minister is being transported to Kyiv for further questioning after border authorities were instructed to notify investigators if he attempted to depart the country.

The probe has already resulted in arrests, including former deputy prime minister Oleksiy Chernyshov on suspicion of illicit enrichment. Meanwhile, businessman Timur Mindich — associated with Zelensky’s former television production company Kvartal 95 — reportedly left Ukraine after being named as a suspect.

Advertisement

Despite the seriousness of the allegations, the developments signal continued institutional resolve to safeguard public resources — particularly vital as Ukraine works to maintain energy resilience during sustained attacks on infrastructure.

Continue Reading

Trending