Connect with us

News

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle Announces Resignation

Published

on

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle Announces Resignation

Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle has officially announced her resignation in a heartfelt letter to her colleagues, citing the need for accountability following security lapses during an assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump at his rally on July 13.

In her letter, Cheatle expressed that the Secret Service’s core mission is to protect the nation’s leaders and acknowledged that the recent security failures fell short of this goal. She took full responsibility for the lapses that allowed the attempt on Trump’s life, stating that she did not want the calls for her resignation to distract from the crucial work performed by the agency’s members

Cheatle emphasized her dedication to the service’s needs, making the “difficult” decision to resign “with a heavy heart.” She thanked her colleagues for their hard work and dedication, urging the nation to continue supporting the agency as it carries out its vital mission of protecting national leaders and ensuring their safety.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Referee Michael Salisbury Dropped After Controversial Man Utd-Forest Decision

Published

on

Referee Michael Salisbury Dropped After Controversial Man Utd-Forest Decision

Referee Michael Salisbury has not been selected for any match in the final round of Premier League fixtures following controversy over a key decision during Manchester United F.C.’s victory over Nottingham Forest F.C. last weekend.

Salisbury allowed Matheus Cunha’s goal for United to stand despite the ball appearing to strike the hand of Bryan Mbeumo during the build-up.

After being advised to review the incident by the video assistant referee (VAR), Salisbury chose not to overturn the goal. The Professional Game Match Officials Limited later admitted the goal should have been disallowed.

Advertisement

Referees in English football generally apply a more lenient interpretation of handball laws compared with some other countries, although decisions must still remain within the official laws of the game.

Referees’ chief Howard Webb reportedly told Forest there were arguments supporting the decision not to award handball, but acknowledged that “football’s expectation” would have been for the goal to be ruled out.

The incident marked only the 17th occasion in seven Premier League seasons — and the fourth time this campaign — that a referee has rejected the recommendation of the VAR after reviewing footage at the pitchside monitor.

Advertisement

Salisbury, who has officiated 13 Premier League matches this season, has not been assigned to any of Sunday’s final-day fixtures, all of which kick off simultaneously.

Meanwhile, James Bell has still been appointed as VAR for Fulham F.C.’s match against Newcastle United F.C. despite criticism surrounding another recent VAR decision.

Bell faced scrutiny after not recommending a review of a challenge by Kai Havertz on Lesley Ugochukwu during Arsenal F.C.’s game against Burnley F.C. on Monday.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

WHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further

Published

on

WHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further

The World Health Organization has warned that Ebola infections and deaths linked to the latest outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to rise further as health officials continue tracing the spread of the virus.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that there are now 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 suspected deaths connected to the outbreak.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in DR Congo, where the outbreak began, while neighbouring Uganda has recorded two confirmed cases in its capital, Kampala. One of the infected travellers from DR Congo has died.

Advertisement

Speaking in Geneva, Ghebreyesus said the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola likely began spreading “a couple of months ago” before being detected.

Although the WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, the agency stressed that the situation does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Ghebreyesus said after the organisation’s emergency committee reviewed the situation.

Advertisement

Health officials say the epicentre of the outbreak remains eastern DR Congo, particularly Ituri province, where confirmed cases have been reported in Mongwalu, Bunia, Rwampara and Nyakunde. Cases have also emerged in North Kivu province, including the cities of Goma and Butembo.

According to WHO officials, healthcare workers are among those who have died, increasing concerns over the outbreak’s severity and the risk of wider transmission.

Investigators are still trying to determine how long the virus circulated before being identified. The first known patient was reportedly a nurse in Bunia who developed symptoms and died on 24 April. Her body was later taken to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns heavily affected by the outbreak.

Advertisement

The current outbreak marks DR Congo’s 17th Ebola outbreak, but officials say the Bundibugyo species presents unique challenges because it has not been seen for more than a decade.

Bundibugyo has previously caused only two known outbreaks and historically killed around one-third of infected patients.

There are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments for the Bundibugyo strain, although experimental vaccines are under development. Health experts say vaccines designed for the more common Zaire strain of Ebola may offer limited protection, but this has not yet been confirmed.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

Published

on

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.

The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.

The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.

Advertisement

Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.

The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.

Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.

Advertisement

Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.

Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.

According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending