Connect with us

Entertainment

IShowSpeed to Receive Ghanaian Passport as Landmark Africa Tour Draws to a Close

Published

on

IShowSpeed to Receive Ghanaian Passport as Landmark Africa Tour Draws to a Close

US YouTube sensation IShowSpeed is set to be granted a Ghanaian passport following his widely followed visit to the West African nation, marking a symbolic end to his ambitious, continent-spanning tour of Africa.

Ghana was the penultimate stop on the 21-year-old content creator’s live-streamed “Speed Does Africa” tour, which took him to 20 African countries and concluded on Tuesday. The tour has attracted global attention, with millions tuning in to watch his real-time experiences across the continent.

Following his visit, Ghana’s Foreign Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, announced that his office had approved a Ghanaian passport for the influencer, describing IShowSpeed as a “worthy ambassador”. In a post on social media, Ablakwa said the decision followed “confirmation of the irrefutable ties of IShowSpeed to Ghana”.

Advertisement

During one of his live streams in Ghana, IShowSpeed — whose real name is Darren Watkins Jr — told his audience that his mother is from the West African country, a connection that has resonated strongly with fans and supporters across Ghana and the wider African diaspora.

“Keep making our great nation Ghana, and our beloved African continent proud,” Ablakwa wrote, adding: “Ghana celebrates you.”

IShowSpeed is one of the world’s most influential online personalities, boasting more than 50 million subscribers on YouTube. His Africa tour has been widely praised for offering a vibrant, unfiltered look at everyday life across the continent, helping to challenge long-standing stereotypes and highlight Africa’s cultural diversity, creativity and energy.

Advertisement

Many viewers and commentators have credited the tour with boosting interest in African destinations, music, food and traditions, while also contributing significantly to the growth of IShowSpeed’s already massive global platform.

The announcement of the passport approval was met with largely positive reactions from Ghanaians, with many welcoming the move as a celebration of diasporan ties and global cultural exchange. Some, however, questioned whether granting passports to foreign celebrities risks “devaluing” Ghanaian citizenship, sparking a broader debate about nationality, heritage and modern forms of diplomacy.

Despite the mixed reactions, supporters argue that the gesture reflects Ghana’s long-standing openness to the African diaspora and its willingness to embrace influential figures who promote the country positively on the global stage.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Tech-Inspired Musician Look Mum No Computer to Represent UK at Eurovision

Published

on

Tech-Inspired Musician Look Mum No Computer to Represent UK at Eurovision

Electronic artist Look Mum No Computer has been selected to represent the United Kingdom at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest in Vienna.

The solo performer — real name Sam Battle — is known for blending music with technology, building unconventional instruments and composing electronic soundscapes using devices such as modified Furby toys and Game Boys.

Battle first emerged on the music scene in 2014 as the frontman of indie rock band Zibra, which performed at Glastonbury Festival in 2015. Since then, he has focused on his solo project, gaining global attention for his inventive approach to sound creation.

Advertisement

“I find it completely bonkers to be jumping on this wonderful and wild journey,” he said after the announcement.

“A lifelong Eurovision fan, I love the magical joy it brings to millions of people every year. Getting to join that legacy and fly the flag for the UK is an absolute honour.”

Based in Kent, the artist has built a strong online presence, amassing around 1.4 million followers across his social media platforms, including his YouTube channel.

Advertisement

His work has drawn widespread interest for its creativity, featuring inventions such as Furby-powered organs, synthesiser bicycles and even flame-throwing keyboards.

“I’ve spent years creating, writing and producing my own visions from scratch,” he said. “I’ll be bringing every ounce of my creativity to the stage — I hope Eurovision is ready to get synthesised.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Taylor Swift asks US government to block ‘Swift Home’ trademark

Published

on

Taylor Swift asks US government to block 'Swift Home' trademark

Pop superstar Taylor Swift has asked the US government to prevent a bedding company from trademarking the phrase “Swift Home,” arguing that it could mislead consumers into thinking she has endorsed the brand.

Swift’s legal representatives contend that New York-based company Cathay Home has styled the word “Swift” in a way that closely resembles the singer’s trademarked cursive signature.

Cathay Home, which sells bedding products through major retailers, had applied to register the “Swift Home” trademark for use on its home goods. In response, Swift — through her rights management entity — filed an appeal with the US Patent and Trademark Office on Wednesday.

Advertisement

In the filing, her legal team argued that the proposed trademark creates a “false association” with the artist, potentially leading consumers to believe she has endorsed the company’s products.

They further stated that the move appeared intended to leverage Swift’s “goodwill and recognition” to enhance the brand’s market appeal.

According to the documents, Swift already holds federal trademarks covering the use of her name and signature across a wide range of goods — including bedding, clothing and music-related merchandise.

Advertisement

Over the course of her career, Swift has secured more than 300 trademarks globally, encompassing her name, initials, album titles and even select lyrics — a reflection of her expansive commercial footprint.

The singer-songwriter’s business influence has grown alongside her creative success. With a net worth estimated at well above $1bn (£730m), boosted by record-breaking global tours, Swift continues to play an active role in protecting the commercial use of her brand identity.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Bad Bunny Breaks New Ground at Super Bowl with Spanish-Language Spectacle Celebrating Unity

Published

on

Bad Bunny Breaks New Ground at Super Bowl with Spanish-Language Spectacle Celebrating Unity

Bad Bunny delivered a landmark Super Bowl half-time show that blended cultural pride, star power and a call for unity, even as former US President Donald Trump dismissed the performance as “terrible”.

The 31-year-old global superstar turned the 14-minute spectacle into an affectionate tribute to his native Puerto Rico and the wider Americas, ending with messages of shared identity and togetherness with the United States. The performance featured guest appearances from Lady Gaga and Ricky Martin, while high-profile cameos from Pedro Pascal, Cardi B, Karol G and Jessica Alba added to the celebratory atmosphere.

Much of the show unfolded around Bad Bunny’s now-famous casita set — a stylised recreation of a traditional Puerto Rican home that has become a visual hallmark of his live performances. Cameras captured celebrity guests dancing on its porch as the music pulsed with Caribbean rhythms and Latin pop energy.

Advertisement

Fresh off a year in which he was named the world’s most-streamed artist of 2025 by Spotify, Bad Bunny made history by becoming the first performer to deliver an entire Super Bowl half-time show in Spanish. The Super Bowl is typically the most-watched television event in the US, making the moment a significant cultural milestone.

He briefly switched to English for a single line — “God bless America” — before naming countries across Central, South and North America as dancers paraded with their national flags. Behind them, a billboard carried the message: “The only thing more powerful than hate is love.” The segment concluded with Bad Bunny holding a football emblazoned with the words: “Together, We Are America.”

Despite the symbolism, the artist — born Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio — avoided any direct political criticism of the current US administration during the performance. Nonetheless, Trump, who did not attend the game, took to his Truth Social platform to attack the show, calling it “absolutely terrible, one of the worst, EVER!”

Advertisement

He went on to describe the performance as “an affront to the Greatness of America” and complained that “nobody understands a word this guy is saying”, comments that quickly drew criticism from Bad Bunny’s fans and supporters of multicultural representation.

In response to the controversy, conservative group Turning Point USA organised a separate event dubbed the All-American Halftime Show, headlined by outspoken Trump supporter Kid Rock.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending