Connect with us

News

Chinese National and Kenyan Associate Charged Over Attempt to Smuggle 2,000 Ants

Published

on

Chinese National and Kenyan Associate Charged Over Attempt to Smuggle 2,000 Ants

A Chinese national and his Kenyan associate have been charged with wildlife trafficking offences after authorities intercepted an attempt to smuggle more than 2,000 live queen ants out of Kenya.

Zhang Kequn was arrested last week at an international airport in Nairobi after officials discovered the insects hidden in his luggage. The ants were reportedly stored in test tubes and wrapped in tissue.

During a court hearing in Nairobi on Tuesday, prosecutors said Zhang had purchased the ants from Charles Mwangi at a rate of 10,000 Kenyan shillings (about $77) for every 100 ants.

Advertisement

Authorities say the case highlights a growing illegal trade in insects, driven by demand in parts of Europe and Asia where collectors keep species such as queen ants as pets.

Although officials have not confirmed the intended use of the ants in this case, Zhang’s luggage was reportedly bound for China.

Both men have been charged with illegal dealing in wildlife species and conspiracy to commit a felony. They remain in custody and have pleaded not guilty, according to local media reports.

Advertisement

Mwangi faces an additional charge after authorities allegedly found more live ants in his possession on a separate occasion.

Defence lawyer David Lusweti told the Associated Press that the two men were unaware they were breaking the law, arguing they believed the trade presented a legitimate business opportunity.

“They have seen potential that they are able to sell outside the country,” he said.

Advertisement

The case is scheduled to return to court on 27 March as investigations continue into the suspected wildlife trafficking network.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

Published

on

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.

The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.

The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.

Advertisement

Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.

The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.

Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.

Advertisement

Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.

Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.

According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives

Published

on

Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives

The bodies of four Italian divers who disappeared during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, local authorities confirmed.

One member of the group had already been found shortly after the incident, which took place last Thursday.

Officials said the four remaining victims were discovered inside a cave around 60 metres (197 feet) underwater in Vaavu Atoll during a joint recovery operation involving specially trained Finnish and Maldivian divers.

Advertisement

The tragedy also claimed the life of a Maldivian rescue diver who died on Saturday while taking part in the search effort.

Authorities believe the accident is the deadliest single diving incident recorded in the Maldives, a country internationally known for its tourism industry and coral island resorts.

Four of the Italian victims were linked to the University of Genoa research team. They were identified as Prof Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri.

Advertisement

The fifth Italian victim was diving instructor and boat operations manager Gianluca Benedetti.

The Maldivian rescue diver who died during the operation was identified as Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee.

Officials believe all four bodies recovered this week were located in the same underwater cave where military personnel had earlier discovered the first victim on the day of the accident.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Six Americans Exposed in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

Published

on

Six Americans Exposed in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

At least six Americans were exposed to the Ebola virus during the ongoing outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The outbreak has already prompted the World Health Organization to declare an international health emergency, with authorities in DR Congo reporting about 350 suspected cases and 91 deaths.

One American is believed to be showing symptoms linked to the virus, while three others reportedly experienced high-risk exposure. It remains unclear whether any of the individuals have tested positive for Ebola.

Advertisement

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed it was assisting with the “safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected,” though officials declined to specify the number involved.

Health officials say the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or treatments.

There have also been two confirmed Ebola cases and one death reported in Uganda, according to the CDC.

Advertisement

Reports indicate the US government is working to move the affected Americans from DR Congo to a secure quarantine location. Health news outlet STAT reported that the group could potentially be transported to a US military base in Germany, although this has not been officially confirmed.

During a press briefing, CDC officials declined to answer direct questions regarding the Americans reportedly exposed, but maintained that the overall risk to the United States remains low.

The US has meanwhile issued a Level Four travel advisory — its highest warning level — advising citizens not to travel to the DR Congo.

Advertisement

The WHO warned that the outbreak in Ituri province could become significantly larger than currently detected, with concerns over local and regional spread. However, the agency stated the situation does not yet meet the criteria for a pandemic.

Ebola remains one of the world’s deadliest infectious diseases. During the 2014–2016 outbreak in West Africa, more than 28,600 people were infected and 11,325 died across countries including Guinea, Sierra Leone, the United States, the United Kingdom and Italy.

Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, urged communities to follow strict public health measures, especially guidelines surrounding the handling and burial of Ebola victims, as efforts continue to contain the outbreak.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending