Connect with us

News

Over 200 Dead in Devastating Valencia Floods as Spain Faces Unrelenting Rain

Published

on

Over 200 Dead in Devastating Valencia Floods as Spain Faces Unrelenting Rain

Authorities in Spain report that at least 205 people have died as catastrophic floods continue to ravage multiple regions, with rescue and recovery operations ongoing. The Valencia region is the hardest hit, where 202 fatalities have been confirmed. A temporary morgue has been set up in a convention center to handle the overwhelming number of victims, and local officials caution that more bodies may still be discovered.

The crisis has also claimed lives in other regions: two victims in Castilla-La Mancha and another in Andalusia. As heavy rain persists, the Spanish government has mobilized the military and hundreds of volunteers to aid in rescue efforts and assist with the massive cleanup.

Valencia has become a scene of extensive damage, with vehicles scattered along mud-choked streets and community members joining forces to clear debris. Despite the difficult circumstances, the sight of people coming together has provided a glimmer of hope amid the devastation.

Advertisement

The situation remains dire, as Spain’s state meteorological agency warns that adverse weather will continue through the weekend. An orange alert remains in place for several areas, including the Balearic Islands—Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca, and Formentera—where “significant risk” from severe storms and heavy rainfall has been forecasted.

In Castilla-La Mancha, search operations are intensifying for five missing people in the town of Letur. Over 200 troops and volunteers, equipped with heavy machinery and search dogs, are combing a 5-kilometer radius, with particular focus on Letur’s historic center. Letur’s mayor, Sergio Marín, reassured affected families, pledging, “No administration is going to leave them alone.”

Meanwhile, red alerts have been downgraded to orange for Huelva’s coastline, but new orange warnings have been issued for the Balearic Islands. A pinned update from AEMET’s Balearic section highlights the escalating threat of “showers and storms” across the islands, signaling continued caution for residents and visitors.

Advertisement

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer expressed his solidarity with Spain, writing on X: “The UK stands with Spain during this difficult time. My thoughts are with those who have lost their lives, their families, and all those affected by the extreme flooding.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

WHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further

Published

on

WHO Warns Ebola Cases in DR Congo Likely to Rise Further

The World Health Organization has warned that Ebola infections and deaths linked to the latest outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to rise further as health officials continue tracing the spread of the virus.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that there are now 600 suspected Ebola cases and 139 suspected deaths connected to the outbreak.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in DR Congo, where the outbreak began, while neighbouring Uganda has recorded two confirmed cases in its capital, Kampala. One of the infected travellers from DR Congo has died.

Advertisement

Speaking in Geneva, Ghebreyesus said the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola likely began spreading “a couple of months ago” before being detected.

Although the WHO declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, the agency stressed that the situation does not currently meet the threshold for a pandemic.

“WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels and low at the global level,” Ghebreyesus said after the organisation’s emergency committee reviewed the situation.

Advertisement

Health officials say the epicentre of the outbreak remains eastern DR Congo, particularly Ituri province, where confirmed cases have been reported in Mongwalu, Bunia, Rwampara and Nyakunde. Cases have also emerged in North Kivu province, including the cities of Goma and Butembo.

According to WHO officials, healthcare workers are among those who have died, increasing concerns over the outbreak’s severity and the risk of wider transmission.

Investigators are still trying to determine how long the virus circulated before being identified. The first known patient was reportedly a nurse in Bunia who developed symptoms and died on 24 April. Her body was later taken to Mongwalu, one of two gold-mining towns heavily affected by the outbreak.

Advertisement

The current outbreak marks DR Congo’s 17th Ebola outbreak, but officials say the Bundibugyo species presents unique challenges because it has not been seen for more than a decade.

Bundibugyo has previously caused only two known outbreaks and historically killed around one-third of infected patients.

There are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments for the Bundibugyo strain, although experimental vaccines are under development. Health experts say vaccines designed for the more common Zaire strain of Ebola may offer limited protection, but this has not yet been confirmed.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

Published

on

Train Driver in Deadly Bangkok Crash Tested Positive for Drugs

The driver of a freight train involved in a deadly collision with a public bus in Bangkok has tested positive for drugs and now faces charges of reckless driving, Thai police have confirmed.

The crash occurred on Saturday afternoon at the busy Asoke-Din Daeng railway crossing when the freight train slammed into a public bus that had reportedly become stranded on the tracks.

The impact caused the bus to burst into flames, killing eight people and leaving dozens injured.

Advertisement

Initial investigations suggest heavy traffic prevented the bus from clearing the crossing in time. Authorities also believe the congestion stopped the manually operated railway barriers from closing properly before the train approached.

The Asoke-Din Daeng crossing is known as one of the busiest and most congested traffic points in Bangkok.

Police said both the bus driver and the railway guard responsible for lowering the barriers have also been charged in connection with the incident.

Advertisement

Pichet Kunadhamraks, director-general of Thailand’s rail transport department, announced that mandatory drug and alcohol testing would now be required for all train drivers and railway personnel before starting work shifts.

Authorities have not disclosed which substances were detected in the train driver’s urine test.

According to preliminary findings from the train’s black box, the emergency braking system was activated only about 100 metres (330 feet) before impact — a distance investigators say was too short to prevent the collision.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives

Published

on

Bodies of Missing Italian Divers Found in Maldives

The bodies of four Italian divers who disappeared during a scuba diving accident in the Maldives have been recovered, local authorities confirmed.

One member of the group had already been found shortly after the incident, which took place last Thursday.

Officials said the four remaining victims were discovered inside a cave around 60 metres (197 feet) underwater in Vaavu Atoll during a joint recovery operation involving specially trained Finnish and Maldivian divers.

Advertisement

The tragedy also claimed the life of a Maldivian rescue diver who died on Saturday while taking part in the search effort.

Authorities believe the accident is the deadliest single diving incident recorded in the Maldives, a country internationally known for its tourism industry and coral island resorts.

Four of the Italian victims were linked to the University of Genoa research team. They were identified as Prof Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, and researchers Muriel Oddenino and Federico Gualtieri.

Advertisement

The fifth Italian victim was diving instructor and boat operations manager Gianluca Benedetti.

The Maldivian rescue diver who died during the operation was identified as Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee.

Officials believe all four bodies recovered this week were located in the same underwater cave where military personnel had earlier discovered the first victim on the day of the accident.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending