Connect with us

News

Southport Violence Blamed on “Thugs” Using Tragedy for Political Gain, MP Says

Published

on

Southport Violence Blamed on "Thugs" Using Tragedy for Political Gain, MP Says

The town of Southport has been rocked by violence in the aftermath of a knife attack at a local dance school, which claimed the lives of three young girls. According to the town’s MP, Patrick Hurley, “thugs” who traveled to Southport exploited the tragedy “for their own political purposes,” leading to unrest that injured dozens of police officers.

The disturbance followed a peaceful vigil held to honor the victims of Monday’s attack at Hart Space studio on Hart Street, where six-year-old Bebe King, seven-year-old Elsie Dot Stancombe, and nine-year-old Alice Dasilva Aguiar were tragically killed during a Taylor Swift-themed dance workshop.

The unrest unfolded near a mosque in the Merseyside town, with officers being pelted with bricks and a police van set on fire. Chris McGlade of the Merseyside Police Federation reported that over 50 police officers were injured in what he described as a “sustained and vicious attack.”

Advertisement

Merseyside Police indicated that supporters of the English Defence League were involved in the violence. MP Patrick Hurley stated that the “riot” was orchestrated by individuals from outside the town, who had taken the train into Southport to use the “deaths of three little kiddies for their own political purposes.”

Mr. McGlade condemned the actions of those responsible, calling them “mindless and violent thugs” and pledging that they would be brought to justice. He noted that the officers injured in the violence were the same “courageous officers” grappling with the “unimaginable tragedy” of the attack.

The disorder began after a group gathered near a mosque on St Luke’s Road, just two streets from the site of the attack, following rumors of a planned demonstration. The group engaged in a standoff with police officers, escalating to an assault on the mosque involving bricks, bottles, fireworks, and rocks. Officers used riot shields for protection as wheelie bins and other objects were thrown at them, and a police vehicle was set ablaze.

Advertisement

Merseyside Police stated that the violence was fueled by social media posts falsely linking the stabbings to Islamist extremism. Home Secretary Yvette Cooper had earlier warned about the spread of disinformation related to the attack. Authorities confirmed that the 17-year-old suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, has no known links to Islam.

Assistant Chief Constable Alex Goss emphasized that speculation about the suspect, who was born in the UK, was unhelpful, stating that some individuals were using the situation to “bring violence and disorder to our streets.”

In response to the violence, a 24-hour Section 60 Order was enacted, granting police enhanced stop and search powers, and a Section 34 Order was introduced, allowing police to disperse individuals engaged in or likely to engage in antisocial behavior.

Advertisement

Merseyside Police assured the public that additional officers would remain in the area to provide a visible presence and reassure the community. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer condemned those who “hijacked the vigil for the victims with violence and thuggery,” stating on X that they had insulted the community and would “feel the full force of the law.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

At Least 90 Killed in China Coal Mine Explosion

Published

on

At least 90 people have died following a massive gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China, according to state media reports.

The blast occurred on Friday evening at the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Shanxi province and is being described as China’s deadliest mining disaster since 2009.

Officials said 247 workers were on duty when the explosion happened at about 19:29 local time. More than 100 miners were reportedly rescued, while hundreds of emergency personnel were deployed to the site.

Advertisement

Xi Jinping called for every possible effort to be made to treat the injured and continue the search for survivors.

China’s State Council later announced that a “rigorous” investigation would be launched and warned that anyone found responsible for the disaster would face severe punishment.

Authorities said 27 people remain in hospital, including one in critical condition. Most survivors are believed to have suffered from inhaling toxic gas, although officials have not confirmed the exact substance involved.

Advertisement

One injured miner, Wang Yong, told state media he saw smoke suddenly spread through the tunnel moments after the explosion.

“I smelled sulphur, the same smell you get from blasting,” he said. “I shouted at people to run. As we were running I could see people collapsing from the fumes. Then I blacked out too.”

He added that he regained consciousness about an hour later and escaped with another worker.

Advertisement

State media reported that several members of the mine’s management team have been detained as investigations continue into the cause of the explosion.

Officials said dangerous levels of carbon monoxide — a highly toxic and odourless gas — had been detected inside the mine after the incident.

China’s Ministry of Emergency Management has dispatched 345 rescuers from six specialist teams to assist with recovery operations.

Advertisement

Rescue efforts have reportedly been complicated by flooding near the blast area, making some sections inaccessible. Authorities also said mine blueprints provided to rescue teams did not accurately reflect the underground conditions, creating further challenges during the operation.

Continue Reading

News

Democratic Republic of the Congo Cancels World Cup Camp Over Ebola Outbreak

Published

on

The Democratic Republic of the Congo has cancelled its planned pre-World Cup training camp in Kinshasa because of the worsening Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the country.

Preparations for the tournament will instead take place in Belgium as authorities respond to an outbreak that has reportedly killed more than 130 people.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, although it has stopped short of classifying it as a pandemic.

Advertisement

Jerry Kalemo, spokesperson for the national football team, said planned warm-up matches in Europe would still go ahead as the team prepares for its first FIFA World Cup appearance since 1974.

DR Congo are scheduled to face Denmark in Belgium on 3 June and Chile in Spain on 9 June before opening their World Cup campaign against Portugal in Houston on 17 June.

Team officials said the decision to cancel the Kinshasa camp was linked to travel restrictions introduced by the United States in response to the Ebola outbreak.

Advertisement

Under the restrictions, non-Americans who have recently visited DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous 21 days are barred from entering the US.

Because all DR Congo players and head coach Sébastien Desabre are based outside the country, they are not expected to be affected by the rules now that the training camp has been relocated.

Some support staff based in DR Congo reportedly left the country on Wednesday before the 21-day travel restriction window came into effect.

Advertisement

The planned Kinshasa camp had been expected to attract supporters and senior officials, including President Felix Tshisekedi.

Although Kinshasa lies around 1,800km from Ituri province — the centre of the outbreak — no Ebola cases have yet been reported in the capital.

The WHO said on Wednesday that 139 people were believed to have died from around 600 suspected cases, while Congolese health minister Samuel Roger Kamba later stated on national broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had recorded 159 deaths.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

US Charges Raúl Castro Over 1996 Plane Shootdown

Published

on

The United States has filed criminal charges against former Cuban leader Raúl Castro over the 1996 shooting down of two civilian aircraft belonging to the Cuban-American organisation Brothers to the Rescue.

The charges, announced on Wednesday, accuse Castro and five others of conspiracy to kill US nationals, destruction of aircraft and multiple counts of murder linked to the deaths of four men, including three Americans.

The victims were identified as Armando Alejandre Jr, Carlos Alberto Costa, Mario Manuel de la Peña and Pablo Morales.

Advertisement

At the time of the incident, Castro was head of Cuba’s armed forces. The aircraft were shot down over waters between Cuba and Florida, triggering widespread international condemnation.

Speaking in Miami at Freedom Tower, Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche said the case reflected the US government’s determination to pursue accountability decades after the incident.

“The United States, and President Trump, does not, and will not, forget its citizens,” Blanche said.

Advertisement

Some of the charges carry the possibility of life imprisonment, while the murder counts could potentially result in either life sentences or the death penalty if prosecuted successfully in a US court.

The move comes as Washington increases pressure on Cuba’s communist government amid longstanding tensions over political freedoms and economic reforms.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the charges, calling them “a political manoeuvre, devoid of any legal foundation”.

Advertisement

Analysts say the charges form part of a broader US strategy aimed at intensifying pressure on Havana’s leadership.

William LeoGrande, a Latin America expert at American University, said the approach appeared designed to push Cuba toward concessions through mounting economic and political strain.

The US has maintained sanctions against Cuba and recently tightened restrictions affecting oil supplies to the island, contributing to ongoing blackouts and shortages of food and fuel.

Advertisement

Earlier on Wednesday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio issued a message marking Cuba’s independence day, saying President Trump was offering “a new path between the US and a new Cuba”.

Rubio also accused the military-linked conglomerate GAESA of being largely responsible for Cuba’s worsening economic difficulties, including power outages and shortages.

GAESA controls major sectors of the Cuban economy, including ports, fuel distribution and luxury hotels.

Advertisement

In response, Díaz-Canel accused the United States of spreading misinformation and imposing collective punishment on the Cuban population.

Continue Reading

Trending