News
Southport Violence Blamed on “Thugs” Using Tragedy for Political Gain, MP Says
The town of Southport has been rocked by violence in the aftermath of a knife attack at a local dance school, which claimed the lives of three young girls. According to the town’s MP, Patrick Hurley, “thugs” who traveled to Southport exploited the tragedy “for their own political purposes,” leading to unrest that injured dozens of police officers.
The disturbance followed a peaceful vigil held to honor the victims of Monday’s attack at Hart Space studio on Hart Street, where six-year-old Bebe King, seven-year-old Elsie Dot Stancombe, and nine-year-old Alice Dasilva Aguiar were tragically killed during a Taylor Swift-themed dance workshop.
The unrest unfolded near a mosque in the Merseyside town, with officers being pelted with bricks and a police van set on fire. Chris McGlade of the Merseyside Police Federation reported that over 50 police officers were injured in what he described as a “sustained and vicious attack.”
Merseyside Police indicated that supporters of the English Defence League were involved in the violence. MP Patrick Hurley stated that the “riot” was orchestrated by individuals from outside the town, who had taken the train into Southport to use the “deaths of three little kiddies for their own political purposes.”
Mr. McGlade condemned the actions of those responsible, calling them “mindless and violent thugs” and pledging that they would be brought to justice. He noted that the officers injured in the violence were the same “courageous officers” grappling with the “unimaginable tragedy” of the attack.
The disorder began after a group gathered near a mosque on St Luke’s Road, just two streets from the site of the attack, following rumors of a planned demonstration. The group engaged in a standoff with police officers, escalating to an assault on the mosque involving bricks, bottles, fireworks, and rocks. Officers used riot shields for protection as wheelie bins and other objects were thrown at them, and a police vehicle was set ablaze.
Merseyside Police stated that the violence was fueled by social media posts falsely linking the stabbings to Islamist extremism. Home Secretary Yvette Cooper had earlier warned about the spread of disinformation related to the attack. Authorities confirmed that the 17-year-old suspect, who was arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder, has no known links to Islam.
Assistant Chief Constable Alex Goss emphasized that speculation about the suspect, who was born in the UK, was unhelpful, stating that some individuals were using the situation to “bring violence and disorder to our streets.”
In response to the violence, a 24-hour Section 60 Order was enacted, granting police enhanced stop and search powers, and a Section 34 Order was introduced, allowing police to disperse individuals engaged in or likely to engage in antisocial behavior.
Merseyside Police assured the public that additional officers would remain in the area to provide a visible presence and reassure the community. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer condemned those who “hijacked the vigil for the victims with violence and thuggery,” stating on X that they had insulted the community and would “feel the full force of the law.”
News
Russia killed opposition leader Alexei Navalny using dart frog toxin, UK says
The United Kingdom and several European partners have pointed to new forensic findings as they renew efforts to seek clarity over the death of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny two years after he died in a Siberian penal colony.
Addressing delegates at the Munich Security Conference, UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said scientific analysis had detected epibatidine — a potent toxin associated with dart frogs — in samples taken from Navalny’s body.
She noted that the nature of the substance suggested it could only have been deployed by actors with significant capability, adding that the circumstances of Navalny’s imprisonment made the finding particularly concerning.
Moscow has dismissed the conclusions, with state outlet TASS describing the allegations as part of an “information campaign”.
However, a joint declaration from the UK, Sweden, France, Germany and the Netherlands emphasised that the toxin is not naturally present in Russia and is typically linked to certain wild amphibians found in South America.
On the sidelines of the conference, Cooper met Navalny’s widow, Yulia Navalnaya, as international partners reaffirmed their support for continued investigation.
The UK has also notified the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons regarding what it described as a potential violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer praised Navalny’s determination and courage, saying his work continues to inspire efforts in defence of democratic values.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot also paid tribute, noting Navalny’s role in advocating for a more open political future.
News
Ukraine’s ex-energy minister detained while attempting to leave country
Ukrainian authorities have taken decisive action in their ongoing anti-corruption efforts after a former energy minister was detained while attempting to leave the country.
Investigators from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau of Ukraine confirmed on Sunday that the former minister was intercepted while crossing the state border as part of the sweeping “Midas” investigation into alleged financial misconduct in the energy sector.
Although officials did not formally name him, prominent Ukrainian media identified the detainee as German Galushchenko, who left government last November following allegations tied to a reported $100m (£75m) embezzlement scheme.
The case represents a significant step in Ukraine’s commitment to transparency under President Volodymyr Zelensky, whose administration rose to power pledging to confront corruption even amid the pressures of Russia’s full-scale invasion.
The investigation has also touched senior figures, including former chief-of-staff Andriy Yermak, who resigned after his residence was searched. Importantly, neither Zelensky nor Yermak has been accused of wrongdoing.
Authorities say the Midas operation follows 15 months of detailed work by anti-corruption bodies, including cooperation with the Specialised Anti-Corruption Prosecutor’s Office. The probe focuses on suspected irregularities involving Ukraine’s state nuclear operator Energoatom.
Investigators allege that individuals linked to the scheme may have received kickbacks ranging from 10% to 15% of contract values from contractors. According to officials, funds were then laundered and transferred abroad.
Reports from Radio Free Europe indicate that the former minister is being transported to Kyiv for further questioning after border authorities were instructed to notify investigators if he attempted to depart the country.
The probe has already resulted in arrests, including former deputy prime minister Oleksiy Chernyshov on suspicion of illicit enrichment. Meanwhile, businessman Timur Mindich — associated with Zelensky’s former television production company Kvartal 95 — reportedly left Ukraine after being named as a suspect.
Despite the seriousness of the allegations, the developments signal continued institutional resolve to safeguard public resources — particularly vital as Ukraine works to maintain energy resilience during sustained attacks on infrastructure.
News
Havana’s Iconic Cigar Festival Postponed Amid Deepening Energy Crisis
Cuba has postponed its annual cigar festival in Havana, citing a worsening fuel shortage that officials say has been intensified by US restrictions on oil supplies to the island.
The organising committee of the Festival del Habano announced on Saturday that this year’s event — originally scheduled to take place over five days in late February — would be postponed until further notice.
In a statement, organisers said the decision was driven by the “complex economic situation” facing the country, which they linked to the long-standing US economic, commercial and financial embargo.
The fuel shortage has triggered widespread power cuts across the Caribbean nation, affecting homes, infrastructure and essential services. The situation has been further strained by US actions targeting oil shipments from Venezuela, one of Cuba’s closest allies and a key energy supplier.
In addition to electricity disruptions, Cuba is also experiencing a shortage of aviation fuel. Several airlines have suspended services to the island, while some governments, including the UK, have issued warnings against non-essential travel.
The Habano Festival is one of Cuba’s most prominent international events, attracting more than 1,300 visitors from around 70 countries each year. Attendees typically take part in cigar tastings and tours of tobacco plantations and factories, showcasing what are widely considered some of the world’s finest cigars.
Cuban cigars remain illegal in the United States due to longstanding trade restrictions.
With international tourism already limited by the embargo, organisers said they would wait until conditions improve before setting a new date for the festival.
“The priority of the Habano Festival is to offer its participants a comprehensive experience at the height of the relevance and prestige that this event represents internationally,” the organising committee said.
“The postponement of this celebration is a measure aimed at protecting this experience.”
Cuba’s energy situation has deteriorated in recent weeks, with reports of power cuts lasting up to 18 hours a day in some areas, affecting hospital emergency wards, dialysis services and water pumping systems.
US President Donald Trump has urged Cuban leaders to “make a deal” or face unspecified consequences, while UN human rights experts have criticised Washington’s restrictions on Cuba’s oil imports as an “extreme form of unilateral economic coercion.”
-
News1 week agoIranian Nobel Laureate Faces New Sentence as Support and Global Scrutiny Intensify
-
News1 week agoRussia Identifies Suspects in Shooting of Senior General
-
News6 days agoStarmer Vows to Stand Firm as He Rallies MPs Amid Mounting Political Pressure
-
News5 days agoNine killed and 25 injured in shootings at school and home in Canada
-
News1 week agoThai PM claims election victory as Conservatives Take Commanding Lead
-
Entertainment6 days agoBad Bunny Breaks New Ground at Super Bowl with Spanish-Language Spectacle Celebrating Unity
-
Entertainment1 week agoGraham Norton and Lewis Capaldi Join Taylor Swift for Playful, Star-Studded ‘Opalite’ Video
-
News1 week agoZelensky Says US Aims for June Deadline to End Ukraine War
